2015 San Francisco Homebrewers Guild “Homebrewer of the Year” Competition Series Rules
Do you have what it takes to be named the SFHG Homebrewer of the Year?
SFHG will once again host several BJCP-sanctioned competitions in 2015. Points earned by club members in the club-only competitions, plus points earned by placing in certain outside competitions, are added up to determine who is the SFHG Homebrewer of the Year. The winner will have their name engraved on the SFHG HoY trophy cup and will bask in the adulation of their peers. Brewers must be a paid annual member of the SFHG to be eligible for the SFHG HoY award.
Brewers may earn points toward HoY by entering the three(3) BJCP competitions hosted by the SFHG in 2015. All competitions will require two(2) 12 oz. bottles for entry. The competitions being hosted by BJCP this year are as follows:
- St. Patrick’s Day Competition: 13A - Dry Irish Stout or 9D - Irish Red Ale
- What better way to prepare for St. Patrick’s Day than to brew a beer made famous by the Emerald Isle.
- Suggested Brew Date: On or before 1/25/15
- Due Date: 3/1/15
- Award Date: 3/15/15 (St. Patrick’s Day)
- SMaSH Competition: 23 - Specialty Beer
- Time to simplify your recipe. You will be allowed to pick 1 type of malt and 1 type of hop for this brew. We will define the yeast (more details to come soon). Let your brewing skills do the rest and see how great a simple beer can taste.
- Suggested Brew Date: On or before 4/5/15
- Due Date: 5/10/15
- Award Date: 5/24/15
- Wheat Beers: 15A Weizen/Weissbier, 15B - Dunkelweizen, 15C - Weizenbock
- Struggling to make crystal clear beer? No worries, this competition promotes cloudy beer! Harness the flavor of wheat, bananas and cloves in these German style beers.
- Suggested Brew Date: 7/5/15 (earlier if making a bock!)
- Due Date: August 8/9/15
- Award Date: August 8/23/15
SFHG members may also earn points toward the SFHG HOY Award by winning a ribbon in the following competitions:
- Bay Area Mashers “World Cup of Beer”
- Due Date: TBD (info will be on website linked above and we’ll try to send out an update when information is available)
- Award Date: April 4, 2015
- Mayfaire Competition
- Due Date: Usually in April (info will be on website linked above and we’ll try to send out an update when information is available)
- Award Date: TBD
- California State Fair
- Due Date: Usually in May (info will be on website linked above and we’ll try to send out an update when information is available)
- Award Date: TBD
- California State Homebrew Competition
- Due Date: Usually in October (info will be on website linked above and we’ll try to send out an update when information is available)
- Award Date: TBD
How the points are allocated:
- 6 points for 1st place
- 4 points for 2nd place
- 2 points for 3rd place
- 0.5 points for entry that does not place
- 1 bonus point if you enter all 3 SFHG-sponsored competitions
- 3 points for 1st place
- 2 points for 2nd place
- 1 point for 3rd place
- 1 bonus point for winning Best of Show
- Brewers must be a paid, annual member of SFHG, and must enter at least ONE (1) of our three internal, SFHG competitions to be eligible for the SFHG HOY Award.
- You can earn a maximum of 5 cumulative points for each non-SFHG eligible competition.
- You can earn a maximum of 10 cumulative points per BJCP sub-category for the year. Feel free to enter as many competitions as you would like, but once you have reached 10 points for a specific BJCP sub-category, you cannot earn any more HoY points for that specific BJCP sub-category.
- If you enter a competition with a co-brewer, your points will only count toward that specific team. Brewers do not earn individual brewer points as part of team.
Tie-Breaker for HoY Award:
If at the end of the year there is a tie of points between multiple homebrewers, we wil break the tie by taking these factors into consideration in this order, until someone emerges as a winner:
1) Most points earned in SFHG competitions
2) Most 1st Place Awards, SFHG competitions
3) Most 2nd Place Awards, SFHG competitions
4) Most 3rd Place Awards, SFHG competitions
5) Most 1st Place Awards, Non-SFHG competitions
6) Most 2nd Place Awards, Non-SFHG competitions
7) Most 3rd Place Awards, Non-SFHG competitions
Need more info?:
Join the SFHG mailing list and/or become a member of the SFHG MeetUp page to receive the most up to date information. If you have any specific questions, you can e-mail SFHG Competitions Chair Dermot Stratton at firstname.lastname@example.org.
There can only be one winner of the HoY award, however, all SFHG members will benefit greatly from entering competitions and receiving honest feedback and recommendations on how to improve your beer. All SFHG brewers are highly encouraged to brew for competitions!
Best of luck and happy brewing!